Thursday, September 18, 2008

Occupying the hours


One of the big dilemmas of an evacuee is figuring out how to occupy the hours of your day. There are only so many visits to WalMart and Target you can make (and we are definitely approaching the limit). And to avoid cabin fever both for me and for the boys, I took the dogs out to play yesterday.


We made our first visit to a dog park and it was a most successful outing. I actually found a dog who could not only outrun Rocky, but also run him to the ground. After about 2 hours, my boys were plain exhausted.

I am so pleased with how well the dogs and cats are dealing with this. I can’t imagine what they understand of the situation, but I’m sure they are confused. But just as I am creating a new routine out of life at the hotel, so are the animals. Rocky and Barkley are back on a normal eating schedule, and they are quick to let me know when I’m off. Rocky even knows where he eats now and will go wait by where his food dishes go.

We found other refugees at the dog park, and my boys were quick to make friends with all but one dog there. It was a nice escape from the hotel and from the constant reminder of what we need to be doing and what we face ahead.

The dogs need some time to play, too. And we could probably learn from their adaptability. They’re just going with it day by day and I supposed I should be, too. Weather permitting, I do believe we will venture back toward the park. The play is good for all of us.

Other than tending to the dogs and playing in the park, we’ve been spending our days shopping for essentials or just to kill time. I joked with mom on the way here that everything of value was in our cars and anything else can be replaced at WalMart. That is more true than I thought – apparently everything you need in life can be bought at WalMart. Throw a lumber yard in and you would never need to go anywhere else.

Last night, we enjoyed a wonderful dinner with friends from Houston. They too are on the road from Ike. We continue to explore the area around our hotel and are so excited when we recognize where we are. That to me is a sign we’ve been here too long.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heidi, I am happy to see you and your mom made it out of Galveston. I am sorry for the loss of your house and possessions. I can't begin to imagine so I will not say I understand how you feel. I believe the island will recover and rebuild because of people like you and all the people that stayed. You all obviously love the island so it is only a matter of time and hard work. Remember you have friends here and I want you to know I will help any way I can. Just call on me.